Monday, January 24, 2011

Angry Movie Lurker Review 24: Ultramarines: A Warhammer 40,000 Movie (2 STARS)

.....back on the horse after internet and phones returned yesterday late evening, did some painting, took some pictures and watched a lot of movies and this was one of them.



All I knew about this movie was a trailer I had seen on a blog and I was interested because I have always been a fan of WH40K especially space marines (dark angels), imperial guard and orks in that order.This movie was a bit of a let down and I realise it was made on a minimal budget but my only problem with this movie is the portrayal of the space marines, they are showed as less than superhuman, constantly bickering and making snide remarks at each other, they die after one shot mostly ( but 6-7 shots to take out a chaos marine) , keep taking their helmets off in the battlefield?.The marines I remember reading about over the years in novels and the magazines were insane killers who were virtually one man armies held in awe by their own people and in fear by other races.

Their is beautiful stuff here, battle barge, thunderhawk gunship, power swords, chainswords, heavy bolter, flamer etc......but one squad on a battle barge (12 men), some of the visuals are excellent (the scenes of the imperial fist battlefield devestation), the black legion chaos marines and the imperial fist chaplain but some of the rest is terrible.

The story is that an ultamarine squad plus apothecary and captain head to a planet and a shrine guarded by a company of imperial fists after an emergency beacon is activated, when they arrive they find most of the imperial fists dead and the mark of chaos is everywhere and they fight to find out what happened and get off the planet alive but chaos is everywhere and has plans of its own.I watched it until the end and I applaud the movie been made in the first place but what could have been with a better budget and a different chapter......Ultramarines have always been a problem for me too perfect and a bit preachy for my liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment