Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Doug's Caesar Salad

When I go to friends homes for dinner I am often asked to bring my salad bowl and fixings. Here is my favorite.

In a blender mix the following ingredients: (This will give you a smooth and even dressing and hide the little bones in the anchovies that some find disconcerting.)
  • 5 cloves garlic (Before putting garlic into the blender, slice in half removing the center core. This reduces the after taste of the garlic to a large extent. )
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 can anchovies
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard
  • 3 shakes of Tabasco sauce
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
Mix until you have a very smooth consistency.

Rinse and dry:
  • 1 large head of romaine
  • 1 head of bib lettuce
  • 1 head of red leaf lettuce
Break into small pieces bite size pieces. Place in a very very large bowl. This makes it easier to mix and toss.

Add:
  • 2 grated carrots
  • 1/2 c black olives with out pits
  • 1 large tomato chopped
Remove all seeds. This prevents salad from becoming too watery. Mix all vegetables well. Pour dressing over salad and mix well.


Add garlic croutons

I prefer mine made from French bread covered with a olive oil and garlic sauce. Sauce is made from 2 cloves minced garlic and 1/2 a cup of olive oil with a dash of oregano and basil. Spread this on with a pastry brush and cut into little cubes. I brown this in the oven for 10 minutes until crisp at 400 F.

Grind freshly ground pepper over salad.

I always put the freshly grated parmesan cheese in a bowl on the side. Some people like a lot and some people ,like me, are lactose intolerant..

I never use an egg in my sauce. Again some people do not like the thought of the raw egg and I personally do not like to take chances with salmonella..

Things to add to enhance this hearty salad:
  • Canned Salmon
  • Canned Tuna
  • Grilled Chicken
  • Sliced Grapes
  • Mandarin Oranges
  • Avocado
  • Olives (Black, Green or Greek)
  • Nuts-walnuts or pecans

Place salad on chilled plates and dig in.

Serves 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment